Thursday, 1 June 2017

Recent Reads: Graceling Series + The Crown + Hallowed Ground + Magic to the Bone + Dead Witch Walking +It Started With Goodbye


Recent Reads is a way for me to round up books that I have read recently that are either too small to really give a detailed review of them, or are books read for fun with no review notes taken.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore
This was my first foray into this world, and Kristin's books. I loved the whole idea behind this world, how some have a grace, how it shows, and the variety of different graces. Katsa was someone who I instantly liked, as well as Po, and I really enjoyed seeing this duo work together.
I listened to this on audio and the narrator does a fantastic job on not only the narration, but also the voices for the characters. They all had a unique voice which made it easy to distinguish them from each other.

Fire by Kristin Cashore
Fire is the protagonist for this story. I liked that her outer appearance (a monster) and her inner self are different. Yes she is beautiful but that comes from being a monster, which is made clear the minute she uncovers her flaming red hair but she tries to do the right thing. Seeing how she is willing to make sacrifices, to help as much as she is willing to do without invading thoughts really made her stand out. My only problem is that I think this should have been the first book in the series, with Graceling the second, especially with the mention of a certain someone whom we have already met.

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
This is the final book in this series. This is set several years after Graceling and I enjoyed getting to see how far the characters have grown since I first met them. We get to spend a lot of time with Bitterblue as she tries to fix her kingdom, trying to erase Leck from existence and right all of his wrongs, even if it means breaking a few rules along the way.
I really liked a few old faces and this little bit really surprised me but made me stupidly happy.

The Crown by Kiera Cass
This is the final book in the selection series and is one that's been waiting a year to be read. Eadlyn is acting as Queen whilst her Mother gets better, and her Father spends all of his time looking after her. Eadlyn has a lot of difficult decisions to make, one of them is choosing one of the selection, but she is also tasked with making decisions for the kingdom, as well as making sure her brothers are OK and worrying about her twin.
The Crown is a book that was full of surprises, and one I wished I had read sooner.

Hallowed Ground by Rebecca Yarros
It's been a while since I last visited this universe, so when I realised a book had been published that I didn't have I knew I had to dive back in again, it just took me a lot longer than expected to actually get around to reading it.
Hallowed Ground is the final book in the series, and we get to visit Ember and Josh again as they struggle through deployment alongside thier friends. The fear of losing Josh or a friend ends up with Ember remembering her Father and losing him. These books are always emotional reads, but this one I was an emotional wreck, most of the time hardly able to even see the writing clearly and having to pause and go back. This was a perfect end to the series.

Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk
I've had this book sitting on my shelf waiting to be read for a few years now, and although I don't have the complete series I decided to make a start on it. I love the idea of magic and how it works, that there are rules you have to follow, and payback for using it. As a character Allie was easy to like, she hasn't had and easy life and is struggling to not only make ends meet, but also with her memory. I like how she is determined to find out the truth, even if it means the possibility her Father will be arrested.
There were moments I felt sorry for Allie, and moments I wanted to cheer her along for seriously kicking ass. I'm excited to revisit this world again in the next installment.

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison
I first visited this world reading The Turn, so I knew it wouldn't be long before I picked these up to read. This is another book I've had sitting around for a while so I decided to pick up the audiobook and finally make a start on this series.
I love the characters and how opposite they are, yet somehow mange to have some sort of a working relationship, even if it is very hit and miss. Jenks is adorable and I would love my own pixie. I enjoyed the plot and the story as a whole. I've already picked up the next book and have added it to my audiobook playlist.

It Started With Goodbye by Christina June
I read the book, but I can't say I remember much about it. I continued reading thinking there would be a stand out moment any minute now, but there wasn't and didn't look like there was going to be. I'd already read the majority of the book, so I just continued to see how it ended and although there was obviously something that I did like to keep me reading it just didn't blow me away.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...