Friday, 9 June 2017

Book Review: Girl Out of Water by Laura Silverman


Title: Girl Out of Water
Author: Laura Silverman
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Instagram
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: 2nd May 2017
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Anise Sawyer plans to spend every minute of summer with her friends: surfing, chowing down on fish tacos drizzled with wasabi balsamic vinegar, and throwing bonfires that blaze until dawn. But when a serious car wreck leaves her aunt, a single mother of three, with two broken legs, it forces Anise to say goodbye for the first time to Santa Cruz, the waves, her friends, and even a kindling romance, and fly with her dad to Nebraska for the entire summer. Living in Nebraska isn’t easy. Anise spends her days caring for her three younger cousins in the childhood home of her runaway mom, a wild figure who’s been flickering in and out of her life since birth, appearing for weeks at a time and then disappearing again for months, or even years, without a word.

Complicating matters is Lincoln, a one-armed, charismatic skater who pushes Anise to trade her surfboard for a skateboard. As Anise draws closer to Lincoln and takes on the full burden and joy of her cousins, she loses touch with her friends back home – leading her to one terrifying question: will she turn out just like her mom and spend her life leaving behind the ones she loves
My Thoughts
When I first began reading Girl Out of Water it took me a while to get into it. It started off too slow for me and I was in two minds over whether to continue reading or not. Thankfully things picked up a bit and I made the decision to keep going.

Anise is a surfer, she loves the ocean and the waves and the beach, she lives and breaths for it. The upcoming Surf Break event is something Anise and her friends are excited to go to and is a good way of seeing out the summer and saying goodbye to friends. But thier plans are foiled when Anise has to go to Nebraska with her Dad to help look after her cousins whilst thier Mum recovers from an accident

You can imagine how unhappy Anise is about this decision, she wants to stay at home with her friends and not be a babysitter. But things start to look up when they take a trip to the local park and Anise is challenged to a skate off, by Lincoln, which should be easy for her since she thinks surfing is harder than skateboarding.

One thing that really stood out for me about Girl Out of Water was how the focus wasn't just on skateboarding, there was a lot of friendship and family too. Seeing the family pulling together to make things work, and meeting new friends who challenge you to try new things but also offer up support and encouragement. It wasn't easy for Anise to move away from everything she knows, and she does struggle with trying to keep both versions of her life. But she is also stubborn, and determined, and I like how she tries her hardest at everything she puts her mind to.

I enjoyed the progression of this story, the friendships felt real and natural. I liked the skateboarding aspect, especially as the most I was ever able to do was push it along whilst kneeling on a board. I enjoyed the different personalities of the characters and how well they worked together within the pages.

Final Verdict
Although Girl Out of Water didn't blow me away, I did find myself eventually enjoying the book, and by the time I had reached the final pages I didn't want it to end.

1 comment:

  1. Thos one started a little iffy for me too, and I had a little trouble in the middle, but I stuck it out as well and thought all in all it was a pretty good book. It didn't blow me away either, but I did like how the family stuck together, and I was really interested to see how her return to CA would pan out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...