Tuesday, 18 April 2017

Book Review: Vigilante [Jessica Daniel #2] by Kerry Wilkinson


Title: Vigilante
Author: Kerry Wilkinson
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter|Instagram
Genre: Crime, Fiction
Series: Jessica Daniel #2
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 29th September 2016
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
A killer behind bars is still killing…

When the body of a man is discovered with multiple stab wounds, Detective Jessica Daniel thinks it could be another drug-related murder. But then two more victims are found with similar markings. Each of the men were hardened criminals but is that the only link?

As Jessica is drawn into her most difficult case yet, dead bodies continue to pile up and the media go to town with headlines of a ‘Vigilante’ on the streets.

Then forensics match blood from the killer to a man already behind bars: Donald McKenna. Serving life in prison, Donald is a dangerous individual with the perfect alibi. But Jessica is sure he’s lying - and that he’s not the only one.

Can she catch a ruthless killer before he takes his next victim? And as Jessica inches nearer to the truth, can she protect those closest to her?
My Thoughts
I first found Kerry Wilkinson via his young adult series, Silver Blackthorn. Since then I've slowly been reading his Jessica Daniel series. I read the first book last year and loaned the second from my library, but I never got around to reading it. When I saw Vigilante on NetGalley I had to try and get a request in, even though I didn't meet the requirements, and was thankfully granted my request.

I have really enjoyed reading the Jessica Daniel series so far. I'm not a big reader of crime books, but with having this series set not too far from myself, but also in a similar area, it makes it more relatable and 'real' to me. I find it easy to picture the surroundings, the run down areas, and the people who live there. I like that I have to think, and try to decipher the clues and hints, trying to figure out what is going on and who is the killer. I love Jessica as a character and the relationship she has with her co-workers. She thinks on her feet, but also looks into things, not taking anything at face value.

Vigilante itself is a gripping read that keeps you turning pages as each new clue is given, or something is thrown into the mix to make you second guess everything you thought you knew. The ending was not something I saw coming, both in the turn of events as well as the culprit.

Final Verdict
Vigilante is another great installment in this series and I am eager to continue with Jessica as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...