Wednesday, 19 April 2017

Book Review: Iron Fist [The Inventory #1] by Andy Briggs


Title: Iron Fist
Author: Andy Briggs
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter|Instagram
Genre: Young Adult, Action
Series: The Inventory #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: 5th May 2016
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
The Rules: if you find a secret inventory of utterly deadly battle tech. 1) Do not try it. 2) Do not tell anyone. 3) Do NOT let thieves in behind you. What’s more secret than top-secret? The Inventory. Home to the deadliest inventions the world isn’t ready for. Invisible camouflage. HoverBoots. Indestructible metals. Plus a giant creature of chaos: war robot Iron Fist. No one has ever broken past the state-of-the-art AI security system. (Seriously, most bad guys have no idea this stuff is even there.) Problem 1: the security robot wasn’t ready for a gang of kids wandering in. Problem 2: they’ve ONLY brought the ruthless Shadow Helix gang in behind them. Seriously dumb, but it’s a bit late for ‘sorry’. Say hello to trouble: the Iron Fist is in the wrong hands!
My Thoughts
Iron Fist is a book that somehow slipped past my radar when it was published, and it wasn't until I was asked to take part in the blog tour for the latest installment to this series that it really got on my radar. I really enjoy books with gadgets, and crazy inventions, and technical wizardry, so it was easy for me to say yes for the series so far. Iron Fist is a book that drew me in immediately, I loved the mystery and suspense surrounding the plot itself, but also the protagonist and how easy it was to relate to them.

Dev lives at the Inventory with his uncle. They are keepers of the secret storage unit for thousands of gadgets that were banned, deemed too unsafe, or unsuitable for public knowledge. But for Dev the inventory is his playground, and whilst he may not get on well with his uncle, he has no problem entertaining himself with things he finds on the shelves. We get to see his personality shine through quite early in the pages, and it's definitely an hilarious moment.
"Anyway I thought you were afraid of heights?" said his uncle
Dev shrugged. "I wasn't planning on going very high. Just y'know, fast. I'm not afraid of fast."
Unbeknownst to Dev and his uncle Charles, the Collector, an operative in Shadow Helix, has his eyes set on Iron Fist, and is willing to pull out all the stops to get what he wants, even if that means invading the Inventory. Dev and Charles soon find themselves under attack, and with Devs' frenemies Lot and Mason caught in the cross hairs, they must do whatever they can to stop the Collector.

Iron Fist doesn't have a big location, in fact the book itself is mostly set in the Inventory itself, but with everything that goes on within the pages the world feels a lot bigger. I liked that we get to see some of the inventions in action, or get a great description of others. I enjoyed the flow of the story, and not only was I kept guessing but also surprised with a few revelations that I did not expect. I liked seeing the friendship between Lot, Mase, and Dev form, and they may not be the best of friends but its a friendship formed out of necessity rather than want.

Final Verdict
Iron Fist was a book I finished relativity quickly, and I'm excited to see where it all goes from here. The characters and the world already feel like a small part of home to me and I can't wait to dive into the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...