Friday, 3 February 2017

Mini Review: Super Awkward by Beth Garrod


Title: Super Awkward
Author: Beth Garrod
Author Info: Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Humour, Contemporary
Source: Blogger Feast
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: 1st September 2016
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
I, Bella Fisher, am absolutely WINNING at FAILING at life.
1. I once got my tongue stuck to a box of Calippos in a supermarket.
2. I accidentally called my geography teacher Mum. Twice. He wasn't impressed.
3. I'm a geek. And not in a geek-chic kind of way, but in a secretly-caring-about-failing-maths-and-science way.
4. I always fail maths and science.

So it figures that when I meet the FITTEST BOY IN THE WORLD, Zac, I'm doing solo star jumps. While dressed as a cereal box.
(NOTE TO SELF, fancy dress = HE-WILL-NEVER-EVER-FANCY-ME dress.)

Now I've got to somehow persuade Zac to come to prom with me while avoiding my evil ex and dealing with a secret so mega-awks I want to Ctrl-Z my brain... What could go wrong?
Oh yeah, that's right. Absolutely everything.
My Thoughts
Super Awkward was a book I snagged at the Scholastic Blogger Feast a few weeks ago. I needed a change of books and picked this one up just before bed. One chapter later I had to put it down as I knew it would keep me up all night reading.
My mini reviews tend to be smaller reviews of books as the books tend to be read for fun rather than real review notes taken. Since I took hardly any notes for this book I'm changing the format up a bit and giving you the reasons why I loved Super Awkward.

I instantly loved Bella as character. Her personality is just infectious and I love how the book title describes her.
She is forgetful, clumsy, and often says the wrong things in the wrong situations.
 I love the small group of friends she has and how they balance each other out when they are actually talking.
The idea behind Psssst was great, and Bella being Bella can't help but share some secrets that aren't hers to share.
This book made me laugh, and giggle and also cringe with embarrassment for Bella.
The relationship she has with her sister reflected some of mine with my own sister, especially the bits that concern getting the other sibling into trouble.


Favourite Quote
Mum reckons I'm chained to my phone, but it's not my fault no one invented interesting technology in her day. She just had wood and washing machines and kettles and boring stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...